Sunday, September 18, 2011

Top 11 FIlms I Wish More People Would See

I have a very deep and very true love of indie films. This means I can get away with being clever by quoting films I know no one but me has seen (most of the time). But since I like other people to like what I like (*rereads that sentence*...uh, yeah), I'm always lending these movies out to people when I know they'll like them.

Check out any of these films, you will not be sorry.

1. Ten Inch Hero-my all-time favourite film ever. In turns, it's hilarious and heart-wrenching. It's clever without being gross and if nothing else, Jensen Ackles (of Supernatural fame) delivers a monologue about buying tampons while wearing a kilt. It's worth it just for that.

2. How To Rob A Bank-if you ask me who my favourite actor is, you're going to get an answer of "Nick Stahl" at an excited volume, complete with flailing arms. This is one of his lesser known (a feat for such an underrated actor) films, but it's wonderful. Also fantastic is Erika Christensen of Parenthood fame. It's got the perfect combo of action and clever dialogue. Great, great film.

3. Funny Face-Sure, everyone's seen Breakfast at Tiffany's and Sabrina, but this is the best (IMHO) Audrey Hepburn movie. For a start, she's opposite Fred Astaire and their whip-fast dialogue would give even newspaper editors a headache. I'd like to believe more people have seen it, but the number of blank looks I get when I mention it proves me wrong.

4. The Trip-better than Brokeback Mountain, but just as heart-breaking by the final frame. Happier ending than Brokeback and funnier by far. Riffs on the trends of the decades as we follow two lovers (Tommy and Alan) through their relationship and reunion.

5. Reflections in a Golden Eye-Liz Taylor at her shrewish best and Marlon Brando like you've never seen him. You will not be sorry.

6. Fired Up!-not as well known as Bring It On, but waaaaaaaay cuter.

7. My Best Friend Is a Vampire-Ickle Robert Sean Leonard (of House Fame) gets turned into a vampire and parties it up. No sparkling here and it's great '80s camp.

8. Open House-trust me, it's 'Fantabulous' and the songs will be in your head for days.

9. Peter's Friends-Name a great British actor. Yep, they're in this film. From the always great combo of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie to such quotability ('Do you have any Equal?' 'I am famous for having no equal.), this is a fantastic, wonderful film.

10. Little Voice-seriously sweet British film. Bonus points for young Ewan MacGregor.

11. The History Boys-an amazing play turned into an amazing film keeping all the original cast together, which is almost unheard of. Brings up a lot of discussion about the nature of education while still be clever and funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment